Bethersden Gardeners’ Society used to hold the annual Summer Flower Show on Bull Green, now the home of the Bethersden Cricket Club. It was a huge event in the village which would include fancy dress competitions, athletics races for the children (with some competitions for the adults thrown in) and sideshows like coconut shies, catch the rat and many more.
As well as our three regular Shows we hold other events and outings. We try to hold one activity each month throughout the year. The events listed below are an opportunity to meet others in the village and join in the fun. Our events often have speakers and we cover a wide range of subjects, hopefully there is something for everyone.
New members from the village and from surrounding parishes are warmly welcomed. Annual membership is only £3 per person. The children of members do not have to pay an annual membership fee and are eligible to enter most categories in the shows, there are some categories specifically aimed at encouraging children to be creative.
- Discounts at local suppliers (Ripleys’s Garden Centre; Madrona, and Webb’s of Tenterden, Gardenscape (for bulk bag deliveries));
- Visits to well-known gardens;
- Social Events: An Annual Dinner, Supper Evening with a speaker and a Ploughman’s Lunch with speaker – all great ways to meet people;
- Plant exchanges at the Spring and Autumn shows;
- Three annual shows to enter or just come along for a chat – there’s usually tea and cake available;
- Talks on gardening and general interest subjects (3 per year);
To Join: Contact email@example.com
To Renew Your Membership:
Members of the Bethersden Gardeners’ Society Committee will be going door to door, early in the year, to collect membership fees, if you miss them, please email, or phone Eleanor, the Society Secretary (details below).
Events in 2022
All events held at Bethersden Village Hall unless otherwise stated.
|Ploughman’s Lunch – cancelled due to Covid|
|Friday 11th March||Annual Dinner 7pm 3-course meal £24.00, menu forms will be available at the Post Office Shop Counter|
|Saturday 9th April||Spring Show and Cheese and Wine Evening|
|Wednesday 11th May||Visit to Charlotte Molesworth’s Garden, at 2.30pm, car share|
|Wednesday 15th June||Visit to Hever Castle Gardens|
|Saturday 16th July||Summer Show, doors open 2.15pm. Free admission|
|Sunday 21st August||Visit to Doddington Place Gardens, car share|
|Saturday 10th September||Autumn Show, doors open 2.15pm. Free admission|
|Friday 7th October||Supper Evening with Speaker, with speaker Glyn Barham “May your photography blossom and bloom”, 7pm|
|Friday 18th November||AGM with Speaker – Russell Bowes; “Say it with Poison”, 7.030pm|
If you are a member and wish to attend for the talk only please contact the Secretary who will let you know what time to arrive.
- Photography – Essence of Spring, entries by email, deadline 31st March
- Potato in a bucket – Arrangements for collecting the seed potato will be circulated
- Sunflower – seeds will be provided
Diamond & Golden Jubilee Cup
Judges: Grace Wrattan, David and Lynda Rushton, Victor and Helen Medlock, and David Jahnz.
Jeannette Jahnz is the co-ordinator.
(Nominations to any Officer or Committee Member at any time. You can nominate the whole or part of a garden, even your own.)
Revised Diamond and Golden Jubilee Cup Rules (New from 2018)
- Open to all members of Bethersden Gardeners’ Society
- Golden Jubilee Cup to be awarded for a flower garden/border of merit
- Diamond Jubilee Cup to be awarded for a vegetable/ fruit plot of merit
- Each cup cannot be awarded for the same garden again for the same category until after 5 years have elapsed.
- Winners will be expected to help judge the competition for the next two years for both cups.
- President : Gordon Rye
- Vice President : Vacant
- Chairman :Keith Mitchell
- Vice Chairman : Paul Savage
- Treasurer : Jim Williams
- Secretary : Eleanor Shenton 07812131408 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Show Secretary : Helen Medlock 01233 822247(evening and weekends only) or email: email@example.com
Brenda Millen, Jeanette Jahnz, Sue King, Victor Medlock, Sarah Dacre, Judith Mayhew & Trevor Jones.
You can view our latest newsletter by clicking this link